External Hard Drive
Due to many courses using VMWare, Portable applications, and several other pieces of software, an external hard drive is required for all IT associate degree programs. Students are to purchase this on their own.
- External USB 2 harddrive, powered by the USB port
- Minimum 100 gigabyte (GB) or higher capacity
- Thumb/flash drives are NOT acceptable alternatives for the external hard drive
- External Hard drives DO fail. Be sure to backup it up frequently.
- You are expected to develop good computer use habits that minimize the impact of failure.
- It is expected that you know to save your work frequently, after every major change, and to back up your work regularly.
- You should be able to backup your data to a cd or dvd. Remember failure is a matter of when ... not if.
- Some FREE backup options...
- DropBox -The free Dropbox account comes with 2GB of space that you can use for as long as you like.
- IDRIVE-It offers 2 gb free space. but after creating an account and simply referring idrive to your contacts you can get 10 gb extra free space.
- Email it to yourself-some email accounts allow for significant storage space (gmail and others).
Last Modified: June 7, 2009